Monday, June 4, 2007

Who needs Provence?

Can't get to Provence this summer for the lavender harvest? Grow your own! This variety grew thick along the length of my house in Moscow, Idaho. A different variety is huge in the garden of my Lugano home. You can dry it for bouquets, crush it for scented baths, put it in bottles of fine oils for gifts, make soaps or potpourri sachets. It's beautiful and will make your yard smell just like the south of France or a l'Occitane store.

Mint is also super-easy to grow, but put it in a pot away from other plants or it will grow wild like a weed and take over your yard. I have a pot on my patio with thyme and basil combined. The thyme is growing fast and I'm having to think of ways to use the basil so I can cut it before it flowers and turns bitter. Fresh herbs produce strong flavors when you cook with them right after you cut them. It feels luxurious to use them. Your dinner guests will be impressed!

Here's one idea for growing fresh herbs -- these make great gifts, too!

No comments: