Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Our Very Own Not-So-Antique Roadshow

Have you ever seen the show on BBC or PBS where people bring in to appraisers stuff they find in their homes and sometimes they find they've got dusty old stuff up in the attic that's worth a bloody fortune?

Well, something sort-of similar happened last night as Stefan and I discussed his move. He was going to give his dining room chairs away. I said, "At least sell them on eBay. Are they anything special?" "Yes," he said, and looked under one chair for any information he could find. He shot me an email and I started Googling, "Frederica Designed by Nanna Ditzel."

Turns out Stefan's set of six dining room chairs are Trinidad armchairs designed by Denmark's first great female designer. They won the 1995 ID prize. She died in 2005 and though the chairs are still being produced, to have a set of six armchairs in great condition is worth something. A lot, actually. Thousands of dollars. They are not going to a charity shop on Friday.

I am sorry to say my main thought about them before was, "They're sleek and pretty but don't look very comfortable." Actually, they are deceptive that way.

You may not be able to afford these fine things... but look around your place, what could stuff you no longer want pay for? One garage sale Saturday about two years ago I made $1400 off random household items.

I'm just sayin'. You never know...

Addendum: Maybe just because I was a Ms. Smartypants and posted this online, I paid a little karmic dues... I made an executive decision on Moving Day, while S was at work, to leave behind a chair that looked old and kind-of beat up. Then I saw it in Nate Berkus's new Manhattan apartment featured in O at home magazine! Turns out Stefan inheritad an original mid-century modern Bertoia chair... WHOOPS! The good news for you is that you can buy new chairs just like Nate's quite affordably. I found a couple on eBay for less than $100.

No comments: