Friday, July 6, 2007

Add this to the 10 Best List


I got this book, The 10 Best of Everything, for my fabulous German beau, Stefan, for his birthday. We're on a quest, he and I, to see just how good life can get. I thought this would be a superb guide, and it is. I recommend it. Reading this book I realize I should clarify what I mean by "Fine Things" here on this blog.

Some things that qualify as fine are downright stuffy and snobby. Some are overrated and expensive. For me, that ruins the experience. So some of my "Fine Things" may be snubbed by other connoisseurs as déclassé. So be it. I have lived in some of the most beautiful places in the world, grew up with parents who loved fine hotels and food and wine and took me to the best. But they are also great fun and down to earth and hardworking folks who appreciate sales and good values, so this list will not feature things that are fine because they are out of reach. We went to the Broadmoor but we also camped on the beach. Wild boar drank our water one night; another morning we woke with waves lapping into the tent. They're different kinds of fun.

To that end, there are a few things I'd add to the Top Ten lists in this lovely little guidebook to the best of the best. If you find yourself in the general vicinity of any of these places, I highly recommend them:

Destination and Speciality Restaurants: The Bubble Room Captiva, Florida
This place is bubble gum pink and chock full of Americana, from toy trains running through the dining room to the juke box tunes to millions of pieces of memorabilia. There are paint-by-number sets, Coca Cola ads and Christmas decorations that must be seen to be believed. Servers wear Scouting uniforms. The food is good, too. It's been years since I've visited, but I still think about the Bubble Bread.

Ice Cream: I firmly believe that Il Doge gelato in Campo Santa Margherita, Venice, Italy is much better than the world-famous Vivoli in Florence. I've tried them both numerous times over two decades just to make sure.

Also, it's just wrong to put a chain (Cold Stone Creamery) in the book for mix-ins in the ice cream when one guy invented the concept and perfected it in Massachusetts. Instead the authors should have included Herrell's Ice Cream, Northhampton, Massachusetts. When I lived in the Pioneer Valley there I loved the Chocolate Pudding ice cream with all sorts of things (especially Oreos, M&Ms get too hard when cold, in my opinion) mixed in on the cold marble slab. Yum.

I'll think of more of the best of the best as I read, I'm sure. I'll make a category here for them: Add this to the 10 best.

Happy connoisseuring! What are the best affordable things you know of?

No comments: