Monday, July 9, 2007

Great Radio Shows

Story Corps is a great idea. It's a set of mobile recording studios that travel around the country recording the stories of people from all walks of life. There's also a StoryBooth in Grand Central Station in New York City. Stories of love, inspiration, hardship, grief, gratitude -- it's all there. Sometimes they're funny, sometimes tragic, always moving and motivational. It's the best oral history project I've ever seen.

Based on a 1950s radio show, NPR's This I Believe features essays from all sorts of people. They write about their most precious values and philosophies. Anybody can send in an essay; they're just a few miutes long.

I receive the weekly podcasts for This I Believe and StoryCorps automatically and for free. You can hear this week's recordings and lots of past readings by clicking on the links (the names of the programs) above.

Listening to them always makes me think, "What story would I tell in a StoryCorps booth? What do I believe?" How about you? What stories would you tell? What do you believe?

No comments: