Wednesday, July 18, 2007

a drink at the Principe Leopoldo overlooking Lake Lugano

I write this Web site because I've been working part-time 32 weeks a year on a teacher's salary and living like a Queen. Ok, not really like a Queen, but I go places and see things and meet people as if I am very, very rich. So often I think to myself, "Life is good." or "Wow! It is so beautiful here!" or "This is so good!" I just have to share. London, Mykonos, Paris, Lugano, Zurich, Boulder, the beaches of Florida, all over Italy... anyone could do this, definitely including you.

Here's a perfect example. Tonight I called my friend, Alesia, to see if she wanted to grab dinner. She said first she wanted to have a drink at the Principe Leopoldo (I think she did this because she knows I want to sing in the piano bar there. I noticed she only had water.). By the way, the top photo above is the promotional photo from the hotel; this is the shot I snapped while seated in my chair!

Now, the Principe Leopoldo is just down the street from our houses, but it is such a fine hotel that only very rich people know about it. It is beautiful. There are no words for this, really, but "luxury" and "understated elegance" come to mind.

We sat at the table just in front of that fountain (above); it's designed so it looks like it's spilling into Lake Lugano far below.

Now, you wouldn't want to pay for dinner there, perhaps, but anyone can afford the glass of prosecco and bottle of water we had. It even comes with free bar snacks! The view and ambience alone were worth what we paid -- 25 Swiss francs, about $20 US, including the far too large tip I left because it was the only coin I had. Plus, I was feeling flush.

We headed down the hill to the BP gas station, one of Lugano's best kept secrets, for dinner.

Next week's tips and tricks: 5 ways to get free travel

No comments: