Thursday, June 7, 2007

Residenze l'Ulivo

I think maybe I shouldn't tell you what I'm about to because you might all rush the place and it will no longer be free when I am ready to visit again. Our family friend, Mrs. Galloni, told my mother who told me about the apartments behind the Villa Serbelloni, one of the loveliest fine hotels I've visited. I am fortunate to have grown up with parents who love fine hotels. They've taken me to The Breakers, The Broadmoor, The Sherry Netherland. In my opinion, none compare to the Villa Serbelloni. The secret fine thing you can probably afford, though, is what makes the Villa even better: they have these apartments over the fitness center... complete with kitchenettes and all the amenities of the hotel... for a fraction of the cost!

They're called the Residenze l'Ulivo and come in three sizes 40, 45 or 65 metres square. The Web site says they rent only for week-long stays, but if you ask very, very nicely you can usually get a shorter booking. The lowest rate I've seen for a small unit is 130 Euros per night, making this a fantastic travel value. All of the appartments I've seen have bedrooms and then sofa beds in the living rooms, too. They're air conditioned, a rare commodity in these parts. Some have lovely views of Lake Como. They are not at all fancy, but you in your spa robe lounging by the pool or in the ornate breakfast room of the Villa hotel will be!

No comments: