Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Travel for Free

Lately all the sudden I'm getting offered free travel. FREE TRAVEL. This makes me so happy I could jump up and down and cry at the same time. I don't. Instead, I consider my options and choose the trips I really want to go on. Here are some of the ways this has happened, in the form of my

TOP FIVE RECENT WAYS I'VE BEEN OFFERED TRAVEL

1. volunteer for your alma mater I conduct admissions intrviews for my alma mater in the US and they've asked if I'd go for a few hours to a college fair over near Geneva, all expenses paid. You bet I will! I loooove the school, the area over on the lake and hotel rooms. I'm there.

2. volunteer to work on peoples' web sites I surf the Web a lot and ran across two brothers who need help updating their site. In exchange, they'll offer a week-long stay in a villa in Tuscany. They're Brits who live there. I didn't make that up and I'm not telling you the site til after I go.

3. request training Many companies would love for their employees to develop or hone their skills and knowledge. Many trainings are held out of town. Ask or offer to go. Even find trainings that would be useful for your department or position.

4. find work in other cities This may seem routine if you're already a business traveller, the trick then may be to keep it fun. If you work as a contractor or freelancer, nothing is keeping you in your little locale. Large corporate clients are so used to paying business travel expenses, if you're good this is not even a stretch. Make sure you're good, though, so you'll get invited back.

5. offer to help a friend Whatever you're good at, whether it's throwing parties or designing store displayes or IT support... offer to help a friend in exchange for room, board, transportation, whatever.

Oh, the places you'll go!

No comments: